2sisters story

 






i'm so proud of you martha


every time dad said those words i


cringed have you ever felt like all you


needed was approval from this one


important person in your life and for


some freaking reason they just


never gave it to you yeah well same hi


my name is elsa


martha is my twin and all my life i've


been competing with her for dad's


approval


and failing miserably the first time i


remember hearing these awful words was


when i was three years old we were


sitting at the dining table and when mom


put our food in front of us


i grabbed a knife and fork and started


cutting up my vegetables


i had to admit i was a pro at it oh wow


where'd you learn to eat


like that look at her but dad was too


busy admiring martha who had her face in


her bowl like a dumb little puppy with


gravy dribbling down her face


that's my big girl eating all by herself


i'm so proud of you martha


wait what you called that eating i


picked up my love of books from dad and


by the time i was four


i could read fluently after finishing


everything at home i begged mom to take


me to the public library one day and i


was like a kid in a candy store


one night when dad came to our room to


read to us i whipped out the seventh


harry potter book from under the bed


daddy let's read this i can't wait to


see how it ends


you've read all the harry potter books


yes and they're


so amazing i love just then martha took


out a book from under her pillow and


nearly hit me in the face with it daddy


please read this to me


i couldn't read all the words and her


book sounds stupid


it's not stupid goldilocks and the three


bears is stupid


what are you two years old no i'm like


four you idiot then why do you want to


read books for


babies because we are babies


i'm not but you're a big crybaby


that's enough elsa martha honey tell me


where you got stuck


i'll read it to you and i'm still very


proud of you


it was always the same we'd learn


everything together and she got all the


praise even if i was five steps ahead of


her


i didn't mind it too much at first i'd


read in a book that parents can be like


that sometimes


showering the dumb kid with extra praise


to encourage them


but then something happened that really


made me lose my temper for the first


time


since my vocabulary was really good for


a kid my age mom entered me in the local


spelling bee for gifted youngsters when


i was seven


i was the youngest participant and i won


first prize


i couldn't wait to go home and tell dad


look at my trophy dad i won


just then i saw martha's pouty face with


fat tears rolling down her cheeks


i want one too dad immediately snatched


it from me and pushed some chocolate


bars in my hand instead


there you go martha daddy is very proud


of his little girl


um hello what for and what about me i


just stared at him for a minute then i


rushed off to my room


slammed at the door as hard as i could


and threw the bars in the trash


ten minutes later i took them out and


ate them while sulking on my bed i just


didn't get it why was it so hard for him


to say that he was proud of me too


later that night i snuck into the


kitchen and sprinkled salt on his


oatmeal


and i felt so happy the next morning


when he took a big spoonful and spat it


all out


dad would sometimes take me and martha


to his office because he said we'd be


running the company one day


once when we were heading out martha


said she wasn't feeling well and she


stayed back


i felt really happy secretly i'd get to


have dad


all to myself dad had a board meeting


and told me to sit quietly in a corner


his boss did not look happy with


everyone


guys our data is indicating that sales


have gone down this past


quarter we need to come up with


something new something exciting


as everyone looked at each other blankly


i had a great idea


so i raised my hand what is it kid i


i read in the new york times that smart


watches for teenagers are going to be


the next big tech gadget


everybody looked at me in surprise but


then a big smile spread on his boss's


face


that's brilliant we don't have anything


for teenagers


who's this genius kid instead of looking


proud dad just looked embarrassed


i'm so sorry i'll make sure to leave her


home next time i didn't understand why


he was looking like he was mad at me


when everyone else seemed to think i was


a delight


are you insane she's amazing i would be


so proud of her if she was mine dad


just nodded and glared at me the second


we got home he rushed straight to


martha's room with the gifts he had for


her


i missed you so much today it really


wasn't fun without you


i felt shattered at hearing those words


just then


she got out of bed and showed dad the


painting she'd been working on


martha that's so beautiful it was a


painting of spongebob and his starfish


buddy


i thought it was really ugly actually


i'm so proud of you martha i'm really


glad you're better


watching him hold her tight for so long


made me want to cry


mom and dad thought i had tears of joy


because my sister was feeling better


but they were just tears of anger i


wanted to rip her dumb painting into two


as i grew older i couldn't help thinking


maybe dad loved martha more


because she was the prettier twin


everyone thought she looked like an


angel with her blonde hair and blue eyes


all the boys in school would be asking


me to introduce them to her


geez the girl could have her own tv show


everybody loves martha


it wasn't until the 8th grade that


someone finally noticed me


it was our science teacher mr martin he


saw that i was always done with my work


early and he started giving me more


advanced physics books to read


one day when he asked me about what new


thing i'd learned i told him i just


loved quantum physics


mr martin took his glasses off as he


looked at me in surprise


are you saying you actually understand


those concepts also


yeah i think so next thing i knew mr


martin had taken me to the principal and


asked if i could be allowed to take


advanced level maths and physics tests


and it turned out i did really well in


all of them the next day my parents were


called in and the principal beamed at


them


you must be so proud of your daughter


yes we are very proud of martha


no i'm here to talk to you about elsa


she's quite the little genius


we want to bump her up a few grades dad


looked confused


but what about martha will she be bumped


up too


sir martha is an average student at best


she's fine where she is


well then elsa can't move up either


imagine how that will make martha feel


she's a very sensitive child thank you


for the offer but elsa will stay in


eighth grade i couldn't believe my ears


was he for real later that night at the


dinner table i ate my food in silent


rage


as usual dad was busy asking martha how


her day had been


it was great thanks to your help i gotta


be in my history assignment oh and i'm


starting cheerleading practice tomorrow


that's wonderful darling i'm so proud of


you if i heard those words


one more time i was going to explode i


banged my glass down on the table


and what about me dad are you proud that


i'll be finishing high school earlier


than most of the other kids


dad what is she talking about dad


clenched his jaw


we've had this discussion elsa you're


not moving up a few grades


no actually i never got the chance to


speak how could you do this to me dad


this is for your own good you should


thank me instead of being a total brat


who do you think you are how would you


feel if your boss stopped you from being


more successful


i would actually be so grateful to him


because he knows what he's talking about


just like me right now


you can't hold me back because of martha


it's not my fault


she's dumb i don't know why you think


you're smart


trust me you're just dumb you only have


confidence not smartness


no i'm smart martha is a dumb one do you


hear me


i regretted the words as soon as they


were out of my mouth martha looked hurt


for a second


then her face turned vicious it would be


much better for my popularity if my


nerdy twin sister wasn't in the same


class


no one even likes you why do you think


they don't like me because you're a


weirdo


not true it's because you kept telling


them nasty things about me


you think i don't know do you care about


how that makes me feel


what about you dad are you happy about


this martha is just joking around you


don't have to make a big deal out of it


you're a monster and so is martha


like daddy like daughter mom pushed back


her chair and stood up


enough all of you i think it would be


better for you two to be apart


so elsa will be changing her grade and


no one is dumb


or a weirdo and then she turned to dad


angrily i can't believe you you're so


selfish


selfish why because i want the best for


your kids for my kids


or just for martha you think i don't see


you stopped seeing a long time ago


but i can see your pity from a mile away


and with that


she left i looked at dad but he just


flung his napkin down on the table and


walked away


i didn't care anymore i wasn't going to


wait around for him to say those words


to me


i was bumped up to ninth grade and


finished high school 2 years before


martha we never had much in common but


in the past couple of years


we'd really grown apart she wasn't doing


well at school and was always more


interested in going to parties


and hanging out with boys but dad was as


blind to her fault as ever


look what's arrived in the mail mom i


just received my college acceptance


letter to mit on full scholarship


as mom squealed in delight and hugged me


suddenly dad walked in and snatched the


letter out of my hands


you never told me you're applying to mit


what will you study there


quantum physics that's what i've always


loved but you never asked he crumpled up


the letter into a ball


i own a tech company how will you manage


if you're too busy studying stupid


theories in a research lab


i'm not interested in taking over your


company dad you should train the


daughter you are really proud of to take


over


and we both know that's not me well then


hear


this i'm not going to be paying a penny


for your college


and with that he stormed out of the room


that fall i moved away to boston and got


a job at a coffee


shop to pay for my expenses i stopped


talking to dad and martha all together


mom kept in touch with me and sometimes


sent me money in my last year at


university i was clearing the tables at


the coffee shop one day when a regular


customer


leonard walked up to me he'd been coming


every day for six months and


i had the biggest crush on him hey elsa


i've probably spent hundreds of dollars


on coffee just to see you every day so


how about i cut to the chase


i think you're beautiful and smart and


i'd like to ask you out wait he thought


i was beautiful


growing up under martha's shadow i'd


never really seen myself that way


we dated for two years and then we got


married only mom attended the wedding


from my side


i found out from her that martha had


dropped out of college and run away with


some loser boyfriend who had promised to


make her a big model one day


your dad's really heartbroken and has


just thrown himself into his work even


more


a year later i gave birth to a beautiful


baby girl anna


leonard was so supportive of my career


and always told me how proud he was of


my achievements


and it was the happiest i'd ever been


until the day i got a phone call from


mom


honey you have to come home your dad's


had a stroke i flew back home


immediately seeing dad looking so weak


and sick made my heart hurt


i sat by his side and took his hand i'm


here now and


everything's going to be okay dad was no


longer fit enough to work


and i knew what i had to do i left my


dream job and moved back home with my


family and leonard and i took over the


company's operations


one day i was looking all over for anna


when i found her on dad's bed


reading out loud to him i saw that he


had tears in his eyes


she's just a little genius like you do


you remember how smart you were


do you remember that dad he took my hand


and drew me close


i'm sorry that i wasn't a good dad to


you i just always felt martha needed my


love and attention more


i shouldn't have treated you the way i


did i thought i didn't care by now but


my heart soared with joyous he said the


words i'd been longing to hear my whole


life


i'm so proud of you elsa



Previous Post Next Post